20 April 2011

Part-Time Freelancer Work At Home

When I attended the wedding of my friend, I heard someone from the other table saying “I don’t have a permanent job right now. But I am doing freelance jobs online at home and my earnings are better than my previous job!”. Hearing this, my attention was immediately directed to what he was telling his friends. I thought who wouldn’t want to earn more and what made me more astonished that time was the fact that he’s just at home – earning! As their interesting conversation continued, he finally revealed “I am working at oDesk”. With this, I started to create an account with oDesk.

oDesk.com homepage


oDesk is a company with a global job marketplace and a series of tools targeted at businesses that intend to hire and manage remote workers. allows employers (“buyers”) to create online workteams coordinated and paid  through the company's proprietary software and website. The name is a short version of "no desk" in reference to the company's intent to enable anyone to work anywhere, anytime. (via Wikipedia)


Creating and account with oDesk is easy and free. I just filled-up their form and then the site has guided me in completing my profile' to be able to market my self to employers. They are also providing online exams to show employers of the proficiency of freelancers on the different fields they choose. As for my part, I took up MS PowerPoint 2007 test, Email Etiquette Certification, Office Skills Test and English to German Translation Skills Test. Once I have completed my profile, I started to apply for jobs posted by online employers.

Applying for jobs at oDesk is like a bidding process. Like for my last project, i competed in a bidding with more than 30 aspiring freelancers to do a data entry job and luckily I was chosen.

After completing my 1st contract with my employer, I was paid in US$ as per our contract through PayPal. It is just now that I find it really practical to set up a free account with PayPal as most of the internet transactions such as payments I make and I receive pass through it. And' I do believe that PayPal is really a secured site. It is also easy to create an account with PayPal and it is also for free.

In my long and winding journey, I believe that having an account with oDesk and doing freelance jobs from interesting employers is a very good way in achieving my ultimate of goal of having financial freedom. I can get hold of my precious time without any hassles on the way as long as I am doing my job as per our contract. Below are some books which can be of help in starting a career as an online freelancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...